Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Henry's Records



Last year Seattle's Light in the Attic records and Vancouverite/Record Maniac Sipreano (who is involved in the doc) put out an awesome compilation called "Jamaica To Toronto".

This is a compilation of songs of soul and reggae artists who were involved in a vibrant music scene in the 70's in Toronto.

I am not sure how many people have talked to me about the Toronto via West Indies musicians who called Canada home. A few late night cab drivers have mentioned it to me, including one incredibly informed driver (man I wish I would have gotten his name)!

I was in Scarbourough one day last week and hit one of those industrial buildings that house all kinds of businesses to Henry's Records. Henry helped unearth a lot of these old forgotten records.

I found myself being very jealous of Henry, and the fact that he gets to listen to great records all day. .

Here is a pic of Henry at his shop - check him out Mccowan/Shepard in Toronto.

darby

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this awesome blog. Mr. Marks is an incredible man. He has left an amazing mark in my life unknowingly. Thanks for bring him to the surface.